Welcome to my blog! The posts are listed by date, with the most recent on top. Enjoy.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Glee

I was catching up on my TiVo tonight and I gotta say I love the show Glee. Not because of the singing and dancing (though I enjoy the singing and dancing and wish I could do it) but because of the message within each episode. And all the inclusion. They seem to deal so well with teen issues.....oh my God, I'm such a mom! But for real, they deal with stereotypes and labels and teen pregnancy and feeling different and on and on. They do it with humor and intensity.

Okay, so maybe I'm biased because they have two women with Down syndrome on the show and they are great. They make me smile and cry at the same time. And not just them, all the characters: Artie in his wheelchair wanting to dance; Kurt who is gay and wants to truly bond with his dad; Tina and Mercedes and everyone else just wanting to be free to express themselves!

When I think about my little Miles growing up and going to school and being taunted and treated like an outcast because he's different, I want to cry! I don't care that he has Down syndrome, he is the best thing that ever happened to me and everyone needs to know how awesome he is! But not everyone will, instead they will treat him unfairly and discriminate against him and the thought of that brings out the Lioness in me and I am ready to rip someone's head off if they hurt my child. Then the rational part of me knows that he will get hurt regardless and I can't be there to protect him all the time. And that makes me sad. Oh...so many emotions, I'm sitting here crying and just because of a freaking TV show!! So yeah...I think it's a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment